Tuesday, November 6, 2007

#24 - Zamzar file conversion

Zamzar is a fantastic site for converting files. Let's say someone comes into the library with their resume saved as a Works document and they want to open it up in Word.

They can go to Zamzar and follow the 4 steps. There's no need to register and it's totally free.



Step 1 - select the file.

Step 2 - choose the format to convert to

Step 3 - enter your email address

Step 4 - click the convert button.

The converted file is emailed to the email address you supplied.

The following are the examples of the file formats that Zamzar converts:

.doc to .html, .pdf, .txt
.docx to .doc, .pdf, .txt
.wps to .doc, .pdf, .txt

and heaps more, have a look at the conversion types

It's very easy. They've even now added the capability to convert files from video websites such as Youtube and Google Reader so that you can store them.

I created a To do list in Microsoft Word and converted it to a pdf document. It worked beautifully.

Cheers, webgurl

5 comments:

Zoya said...

Thanks Webgurl

Zamzar is something I've been looking for. I'll be using this alot. Keep blogging I'll be always looking for new ideas.

Thanks again

Zoya

Webgurl said...

Thanks Zoya.

I think I might keep the blog around for talking about useful sites and general web stuff I come across.

I'll sort through to keep the best widgets.

Cheers, webgurl

Christian West said...

Webgurl,
People here at Brimbank are loving your tips and tricks so keep on truckin'! (well blogging...although I do like the library bumper stickers you can get for trucks).
Thanks for the ZamZar steps, we have a few staff who use it but, well, I'm going to link to your post and maybe a few more will ;)
Christian

Webgurl said...

Thanks Christian for your support.

I'm curious about the library bumper stickers - was it mud flap girl at Wyoming?

Cheers, webgurl

Christian West said...

http://historyismoreinterestingthanblogs.blogspot.com/2007/09/mud-flap-girl.html was one of the first places I'd seen it, but yes it's mudflap girl!
C